Saturday, March 5, 2011

Bali Hen Day 2 - The day that almost wasn't....



Today almost didn't come. At least in Bali for me and as usual only these things happen to me. You really can't write this kind of stuff. The words "Bali is so beautiful!" were so close to within reach and yet so far for a breif moment...and luckily I can tell you now Bali IS beautiful! I could also tell you many other things but most important is that I'm happy to be here with all the girls finally. Getting in here was a whole other story. Let's just say as I've been sworn to secrecy, that this place has some crazy rules, and that I learned a huge lesson about immigration policy on this trip. After the immigrations FINALLY cleared me to enter the country after threatening to ship me back to America on a carrier ship and holding me in the waiting cell for an hour and a half...WTF.?!..Oh if these boots could talk! I FINALLY got to hug my friend Misty and Victoria in the baggage claim and enter the world of lavish royal treatment of our amazing hotel on the west coast. The driver handed us cool towels for our hands as we took our seats in the van amidst a stifling 86 degree afternoon. We were warned that the drive may take a bit longer than usual as we had entered Bali on one of the most celebrated nights as all the villages the Balinese New Year called Nyepi. This day they celebrate before the day of silence by having parades with paper mache evil demon styled floats called "ogoh ogoh", which the people then burned after their parades.




As we drove through the small one lane streets through this utopia of palm trees, foliage, rice fields, many unfinished buildings, little huts, coconut homes, rivers, and temple buildings we waved and were hollered hello to by all the locals enjoying their holiday.



The day is the celebration of the following day which is a day of silence to purge the land of the evil spirits and to self introspect and meditate. So, we drove through four parades in total and finally landed at the amazing villas on the black sands. The amazing modern architecture with dark wood tables and furniture, white and creme beds, couches, chaises, carpets, and stone detailed walls attached to perfectly clear glass sliding walls with high ceiling, defines the ultimate style for such a beautiful setting. The infinity pool outside of our rooms meets the horizon of the ocean when you lie on the sunbeds with each end of the pool met with large pots filled with reeds. In the distance there is a temple atop a cliff which is rumored to have a bat cave at it's base. We will hike there tomorrow and see the beach for the first time since we were not allowed on it today.




I waited up for Celia and Baby to arrive and we chatted about our trials of travel and hit the sack. Misty and I reviewed my samples and fabric choices for my collection and jumped on the bed in excitement of her recent engagement. We finally fell asleep as happy as ever to be reunited in this magical land. We woke up to a massive thunder and lightning storm at 8:30am. We laughed at her lucky streak of trips with rainstorms and waited it out. By 11am the sun was out and since the locals are anti-electricity...I snuck into the kitchen and quickly prepared us breakfast of mexican omlettes.



We tanned for a bit and caught up with quick whispers as speaking today is strictly prohibited. The signs in the airport said that illegal smuggling of drugs into Bali results in DEATH. So we weren't trying to break the rules here too much today as these people are serious about the rules and respect. I took a dip in the amazing pool and fixed up a quick lunch.





We are now preparing for a candlelit dinner and then we will make a plan for the rest of the week and our tour of Bali. I gave all the girls shirts I made for this trip that I will attach a photo of tomorrow. I love it here. I love my girls. This really is a dream come true trip...and this villa is easily one of the most beautiful and quality places that I have ever been. LOVE LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment